4) Assembling the ride parts (at least those which were
Next I had to begin assembling the ride. The first job was to attach the ten sweep arms
that the seats hang from via the seat posts or columns.
The sweep arms were installed and the securing pins also.
As we began installing I noticed that the plastic conduit (wire channel) and plastic junction boxes were broken or
missing their covers. These carry the wiring for the decorative lights on each of the ten sweep arms on this
allegedly NEW ride. See image below:
Then with the help of a friend we began to install the sweep arms to the central pivot on
the ride. Each of the sweep arms had a chrome plated metal channels (light fixtures) which contained the wiring and
the bulb cover receptacles for the decorative lights.
It was while unwrapping the ten sweep arms from the bubble wrap that I noticed that the
metal light fixtures were all bent and dented. At this point I was becoming frustrated, as every stage of the
assembly process uncovered yet more evidence of problems and identified more extremely poor quality and shoddy
manufacturing. Rather than try to fix the light fixtures I elected to simply remove them completely.
Once the Sweep
arms were attached then we had to attach the stabilizer or spreader arms. These are located on the end of each
sweep arm and are what separates the sweep arms at the outside perimeter and keeps the sweep arms firmly in place
What I found as I attempted to install the first arm was that the bolts that anchor them
were too short, they didn't reach all the way through the nut.
Engineer's and bolt manufacturers require at least two threads to protrude through the
nut. Manufacturers of vehicles know this and comply. This image shows the bolts that were supplied to me with the
ride and this was long before I submitted the ride for inspection by a qualified engineer. I could see for myself
it was inadequate.
Do any of these parts shown so far look NEW? Is it unreasonable of me to expect those
parts to look NEW?
See the image below.
Click on image to enlarge.
Again I was forced to go shopping for new bolts of the correct size. This was a two hour
period of my time adding to the previous time I had already invested.
Seat Hanger Brackets
Next was the installation of the Seat hanger brackets low an behold other than poor
quality plating on the bolts this was the first thing I had done on this ride that did not require buying
new parts or correcting.
Click to enlarge
Seat Hanger Bushings.
These are the bushings note the appearance of them brand new out of the box so to
What I found when attempting the installation of the bushings was that some of
the bolts were in less than good shape
And as I will show later some of the welds on these bushings were condemned by the engineer for having
poor quality welds.
posts or columns are the part of the ride that suspend from the sweep arms and which the fiberglass seats are
The first problem I noted with these was that there wasn't any plastic plugs in the
central box post. Poretskins own paperwork clearly states that any cavities that are open to the elements
are required to be sealed. One can only wonder why he doesn't follow his own safety
The engineer confirmed that the post should be sealed in order to eliminate water from
building up which if it froze could expand and compromise the integrity of the steel. The engineer went further
to say that all cavities even if sealed from the elements should also have a drain hole, there were none on the
ride nor were there any seals.
And so once more I had to order parts in this case plastic sealing plugs for the seat
posts this took about five days as they had to come from the states. Also I did drill drain holes into the
posts in order that drainage could occur as I wanted to be in compliance.
This image shows how the seat hangers go
Click image to enlarge
It was during the installation of the seat post/columns
that I discovered three damaged fiberglass seats. I took images and sent them to Poretskin. I decided that I
would give him the benefit of the doubt in this instance since there was no way to know whether or not they
were damaged during shipping. I therefore paid for the repair myself.
There was also a purple seat
Click images to enlarge
Here is the ride now at the assembled stage sitting on my driveway as of April 01